I was recently invited to Six Flags Great America‘s media day to celebrate the opening of their 15th roller coaster officially named THE JOKER Free Flyer Coaster. Six Flags unleashed chaos into the Yankee Harbor section and placed it next to his nemesis BATMAN.
As you walk towards THE JOKER it is hard to miss it standing at 120 feet tall. This one of the most unique coasters Six Flags has ever build in their history and that is nothing to joke about. I had the pleasure of being able to enjoy this newest attraction by riding it 5 times.
“wait till they get a load of me!”-Joker, Batman 1989
Here are some facts about this chaotic addition.
- You will flip head-over-heels at least six times
- The vehicles are winged which has you spending on the sides of the track
- They seat up to 8 per vehicle (4 on the left and 4 on the right)
- This ride allows you to pick your chaos.
- the purple side which is the calmer side of THE JOKER. If you ride coaster but aren’t trying to chance fate, this is the side for you.
- the green side which is the more chaotic side of THE JOKER. This is for the thrill seeker who doesn’t mind being out of their seat.
- There are 90-degree “raven” drops giving you the free-falling sensation
“Introduce a little anarchy, upset the established order and everything becomes chaos. I’m an agent of chaos.” Joker, The Dark Knight 2008
The event was officially opened by the Park President Hank Salemi, but was interrupted by The Joker himself he officially opened the attraction with smoke bombs and his signature colors purple and green confetti.
“Come on Mcguiness laugh it up now!”-Joker, Batman Beyond Return of the Joker 2002
Here are some tips on how to enjoy the ride to the fullest:
- Wear tight fitting shoes, your legs are free and you don’t want to lose your kicks while you are being flipped
- Don’t eat or drink anything before riding.
- If you have long hair, place it in a ponytail to avoid getting whipped in the face.
- Scream loud and laugh harder
- Make sure you take a selfie in front of THE JOKER and use #Greenside or #Purpleside to show off how you took on the chaos
This ride is my new favorite attraction at the park. Even after riding it 5 times, I did not get sick of it. Remember this is the newest ride and the lines may be long at first, but it is definitely worth the wait.